Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Why We Love Mario


Hello, hello beautiful readers! 


I can't believe I'm doing this... I can't believe I'm about to post a photo of my cystic hormonal acne.  Today, I put makeup on before I went outside to exercise, yet now I'm uploading a photo of my most recent breakout for all the world to see.  My struggle with cystic acne began around my 24th birthday.  It started with an occasional hormonal breakout in the form of a deep knot (or cyst) which would linger for about two weeks, leaving behind a scar that would usually fade over weeks or months, but not always.  These breakouts became more and more frequent as time progressed, and today - two years later - I suffer with cystic acne on a regular basis (two weeks per month).  

Here is a photo of my most recent breakout:




Even my Mom couldn't believe it when I showed her this picture at Thanksgiving!  

My Dad, who also suffers with the same acne even in his mid 50's, has been using topical antibiotics for nearly half his life to keep these kinds of breakouts at bay.  

In an attempt to use my current struggle to help others, I have given myself a little mission...  I am going to review as many acne products as possible in hopes of giving those who are similarly suffering the best directions from my personal experience and as a makeup artist.  

Here is the first product:  




This is an interesting product.  It contains Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and calamine lotion.  You are instructed NOT to shake the bottle, even though the ingredients naturally separate and it is compelling to do so... 

Dip a q-tip completely into the bottle and pull it out.  Apply the mixture directly to the cystic breakouts before bed and sleep with the product on the skin. 



Okay- I gave it a shot and I am impressed.  I've used Benzyl Peroxide in the past with little to no results, but I've never actually used Calamine lotion or rubbing alcohol on my skin... Despite my skepticism, this product actually reduced the size and redness of the breakout areas.  

I'm a fan- I give this product a 5 out of 5.  

What products are you guys using to cure your breakouts? We'd love to hear! xoxo!

2 comments:

  1. What do you do to the rest of your face? Seems like you only apply the MB lotion on the cystic breakouts and go to bed? My face is really dry at this time of year even though I have combination skin type. I am now having some cystic breakouts too. And I do not want to go to sleep with dry patches on my face. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started using Mario Badescu about a 2 weeks ago and it has been working wonders. I have the acne facial cleanser,the moisturizer for oily skin, herbal hydrating lotion, the buffering lotion and drying lotion. Surprisingly, they haven't dried out my skin (even in this cold weather) and my acne is fading. The drying lotion really shrinks pimples overnight.
    Selena, maybe you can try their products for combination skin.

    ReplyDelete